UPS-Cuenca Undergraduate Programs
Resolution approved by the Higher Education Council (CES):
Degree: Biotechnology Engineer
Study Mode: Full Time On Campus
Branch Campus: Cuenca and Quito
Duration: 10 semesters
We educate professionals who are able to use, transform and manipulate biological resources with social responsibility and integral human commitment. They must be able to respond well to national demands regarding industrialization, the improvement of health, the increase of production and the preservation of the environment and ancestral knowledge by taking advantage of Ecuador's great natural richness, considering principals of sustainability, sovereignty and equitable distribution of benefits, which will enable a change in the country's production matrix.
Employment and research context
- Develop and participate in research projects about bio-knowledge, traditional knowledge and ancestral knowledge within the field of medicinal plants, food products, conservation of flora and fauna.
- Develop and participate in development projects on bio-knowledge, traditional and ancestral knowledge within the field of medicinal plants, food products, conservation of flora and fauna.
- Manage sustainable development to strengthen conservation and biodiversity through consultancy, NGO's, public and private companies.
- Advisory services for public and private institutions that work in this field.
- Participate in writing an integral plan of biosecurity
- Develop protocols that help assess the advantages and disadvantages that transgenesis can have on: human health, food sovereignty, the conservation and use of biodiversity
- Training on the regulations and application of transgenesis
Agricultural and agroindustrial production systems
- Generate technical and management skills in order to boost production in the fields of food, pharmaceutical, chemistry and livestock, respecting the rights of nature.
- Formulate adequate strategies for rational production, using local, environmentally friendly material, that produce change in the productive matrix by considering the potential of biodiversity in the country.
- Development of industries that produce bio-controllers (biopesticides) to minimize the adverse effect of agrochemicals.
Human and Animal health
- Develop research protocols that allow the detection, diagnosis and early treatment of diseases affecting vulnerable population groups.
- Develop research protocols that allow detection, diagnosis and early treatment of diseases affecting animals
- Create companies and laboratories that develop products and services aimed at improving human and animal health
Animal and environmental biotechnology, new technologioes, intellectural property
- Advise non-governmental organizations, in the development of innovative products, using new technologies, according to the geographical and social reality of the area.
- Technical advice for the development of patents.
- Undertake new companies that develop products and services in the areas of animal biotechnology, environmental, new technologies and intellectual property.
- Apply biotechnological remediation and treatment techniques in order to mitigate the impacts of human activity in the areas of mining, wastewater, solid waste, hydrocarbon extraction, soils, urban and industrial waste.
- Develop bioremediation methodologies using local biological resources and materials.
- Look for development alternatives for the use of waste and residues.
Conservation and management of wild life
- Apply biotechnological and molecular techniques (animal and plant germplasm banks, genomic libraries, cryo preservation, in vitro culture) for the conservation of biodiversity.
- Develop biotechnological techniques and transfer them to local actors in order to implement productive chains, especially in food and pharmaceutical areas, that are sustainable and equitable, by using biodiverse resources
Vicente Hernán Avilés Landívar
Telephone number: (7) 2862213 ext. 1178
|AREVALO MOSCOSO MARIO TEODOROfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|AREVALO MOSCOSO PABLO WILSONemail@example.com||pabloarevalo.info|
|ASTUDILLO SEGOVIA SERVIO RODRIGOfirstname.lastname@example.org||servioastudillo.info|
|ARIAS LUNA JUANITOemail@example.com||juanitoairias.info|
|AVILES LANDIVAR VICENTE HERNANfirstname.lastname@example.org||hernanaviles.info|
|CHAZI MOSCOSO CLAUDIO HUMBERTOemail@example.com||claudiochazi.info|
|CUESTA ASTUDILLO FABIAN LEONARDOfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MALO CEVALLOS INES PATRICIAemail@example.com||inesmalo.info|
|MANCHENO CARDENAS MYRIAM XIMENAfirstname.lastname@example.org||myriammancheno.info|
|PORTILLA FARFAN FREDI LEONIDASemail@example.com|
|ROMERO ROMERO JHISON ENRIQUEfirstname.lastname@example.org||jhisonromero.info|